Facts are a great way to get a better understanding of the world. They can help give you a conversation starter or simply give you an intriguing piece of information that can spark an interest in a certain area. Weird facts for kids are great for this very reason. Sometimes, having facts like this can help kids to feel like they have more knowledge and can use it to impress others. Here are a few weird facts you should know.
Weird Facts About Animals
There are some interesting and weird facts you should know about animals. Knowing them can help to give you a different perspective on these creatures that you otherwise would not have. Here are some to keep in mind:
- Ostriches can run faster than horses and also can roar the same way an elephant does.
- Bats are the only mammals that fly.
- A flea can jump 200 times its height, exactly the same equation as a person jumping to the top of the Empire State building.
- Although, technically speaking, water has no smell, elephants can smell water three miles away.
- There are around one million ants for every person on earth.
- Snails can actually regrow eyes.
- If you want to know whether a turtle is male or female, all you have to do is listen. Female turtles will hiss while the male turtle will grunt.
- The noseprint on a dog is just as unique as a fingerprint, and can be used to help find the dog.
- The seahorse is the slowest moving fish.
- Not only do hummingbirds move their wings faster than any other bird, they are also the only birds that also flap their wings backwards.
Weird Facts About People
Another great topic to have an understanding of is people. If you are looking for weird facts about humans, then these facts from Viralnova may be able to help you find the information you see
- Most babies are born with naturally blue eyes; then when they are exposed to UV Light, their true eye color appears.
- It can take your finger and toenails half a year to grow an entirely new nail (from base to tip).
- Over the course of your lifetime, you’ll shed about 40lbs of skin.
- Your brain uses about 20% of your oxygen and caloric intake.
- Everyone has a completely unique smell (except for twins).
- Why doesn’t your stomach just “eat” itself? Simply because the stomach cells are created faster than they can be destroyed.
- It’s nearly impossible to tickle yourself.
- Your bones are actually four times stronger than the strongest concrete.
- In order to taste something, our saliva needs to dissolve it (try drying off your tongue and tasting something).
- There are more than 300,000,000 capillaries in your lungs and if they were stretched out tip to tip they would reach approximately the distance between Atlanta and LA.
- Frequent dreams are correlated with having a higher IQ.
- Every night, when you go to bed, you will be 1 cm shorter compared to your height when you first got out of bed. The spine cartilage slowly compresses while you are awake and moving.
Here are a few more facts about people that are interesting:
- The average hair on your head has a lifespan of 3 to 7 years.
- Not only is your brain more active at night than during the day, it also cannot feel pain.
- The speed of a sneeze is approximately 100 miles per hour.
- The average person passes gas 14 times a day.
- Your nose has the ability to remember as many as 50,000 different scents.
- Your ears and nose will never stop growing but your eyes will be the same size your entire life.
- Over 90% of all diseases are either caused by or made worse by stress.
- When a baby is born, it has 300 bones. By the time a person gets to adulthood, they will only have 206
- Humans are the only animals that have the ability to produce emotional tears.
Weird Facts About Dreams
Dreams in and of themselves are weird. In most cases they do not even make sense. This is why it is helpful to know a few weird facts about dreams.
- It is impossible to read or tell time when dreaming. This is a trick some people use when they want to know whether they are really dreaming or not
- Many inventions have come about after being dreamed about. Some of these include the sewing machine, the periodic table, Google and many others.
- Precognitive dreams, also called premonition dreams can happen. In fact there is evidence that Abraham Lincoln dreamed about his assassination and 19 people had dreams about the outcome of the Titanic before it happened.
- You always have dreams at night. You just do not remember what you dreamed about.
- Even your pet can dream.
- Those who are blind dream as well.
- When men dream, 70% of the characters in the dream will be men. When women dream there is an equal proportion of men to women.
- About 12% of the population dream in black and white.
- On average, a person will have between 1,460 and 2,190 dreams a year.
Weird Facts About Life
Here are some of the interesting facts that you should know about life. While you may never need this information it can be fun to know and give you something to talk about the next time your conversation is sparse.
- Watermelons are a traditional gift to bring to a host in China or Japan.
- It takes four hours to boil an ostrich egg.
- Olive trees can live for 1,500 years.
- On average, lightning bolts are two inches thick and about two miles long.
- To get out of the gravitational pull of the earth, any vehicle heading to space needs to travel at least 7 miles per second.
- Frogs can eat enough fireflies to make them glow.
- Females have more tastebuds than males.
- While tipping is customary in the United States, it is considered an insult in Iceland.
Weird Fun Facts
There are many weird but true facts that you should know. Even if you never have use for these facts, just knowing them can give you a little tickle. They may even be a great conversation piece next time you are stuck in an awkward silence. Here are a few facts from Bootstrike:
- A crocodile can’t stick its tongue out.
- A shrimp’s heart is in its head.
- More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
- Rats and horses can’t vomit.
- The cigarette lighter was invented before the box of matches.
- Rats multiply so quickly that in a year and a half, two rats could have a little over million newborn rats.
- A duck’s quack doesn’t echo, and no one knows why.
- Hot water is heavier than cold.
- Every year about 98% of atoms in your body are replaced.
- A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball of rubber. A ball of solid steel will bounce higher than one made of glass.
- North American oysters do not make pearls of any value
- The lifespan of a squirrel is about nine years
- The duckbill platypus can store as many as six hundred worms in the pouches of its cheeks.
- A group of twelve or more cows is called a flink.
There are many weird random facts that you can find while surfing the web. Others may be found in books or newspapers. Make sure you take the time to find interesting facts about the topics you love.