Pornography is more prevalent in our society than at any other time in history. The internet has removed the stigma of going to the local store and purchasing a racy magazine to fill one’s desire to view pornography. You can now stream live video, which does not help when one is fighting the new drug that is pornography. Learn about pornography addiction statistics worldwide.
Due to the accessibility of pornography on the internet and one’s smartphone, the age of pornography addiction has dropped and nine out of ten boys have viewed pornography before the age of 18 with the first exposure at the average age of 12. (CovenantEyes)
“Never before in the history of telecommunications media in the United States has so much indecent (and obscene) material been so easily accessible by so many minors in so many American homes with so few restrictions.” – U.S. Department of Justice
This ease of accessibility has exacerbated a problem that some were already struggling with by making porn as easy to access as picking up your Smartphone.
A pornography addiction, a behavioral addiction, can be hard to diagnose and since it is an addiction whose symptoms are even harder to detect than a drug or alcohol addiction, helping those who need it can be difficult. Like other addictions, getting to the behavior that is causing the addiction is paramount when treating the addiction.
Used by some to spice up their sex life, pornography can be turned to by others in a compulsive or obsessive manner that is not conducive to good mental health. While not everyone that views pornography is an addict, pornography on the internet has spurred the addiction because it is so easy to access and Smartphones have added to that ease.
Pornography addiction symptoms are much like symptoms of other addictions.
- Reduced time spent socializing
- Sexual unresponsiveness with a sexual partner
- Someone struggling with a porn addiction may become more demanding during sex
- Someone struggling with a porn addiction may become rough during sex, when they have not been before
- Desire and attempts to decrease or stop the behavior that are unsuccessful
- Neglecting, social, school or work activities because of the behavior
- Psychological or physical feelings of withdrawal when one cannot engage in their addictive behavior
Pornography Addiction Statistics
The pornography industry is big and it is thriving. Pornography addiction statistics indicate that there has been a big increase in pornography addiction in the last few years.
- Sixty nine percent of the internet content market is pay-per-view and produces over $12 billion a year in revenue. Revenue from internet porn is in excess of $3 billion annually.
- Over 650,000,000 searches for pornsites have been conducted online since the first of 2015.
- Nine of ten internet porn users access free material. This material is also accessible to your children if your computers and devices are not set up to block it.
- Acts of physical aggression are in 88% of porn films and scenes with verbal aggression are at 49%.
- There are more subscriptions to porn sites in areas that are more urban than rural and in homes that have a higher than average income
- Global porn revenues have declined by 50% since 2007 due to the amount of free pornographic material that is available on the internet.
- Along with that, 32% of adult membership sites and 58% of adult websites that are free come from outside of the United States.
- One in five mobile web searches are for pornography.
- When polling Smartphone users, 24% admitted to having porn on their device
- Unintentional exposure to porn has happened to 28% of 16-17 year olds.
- On average six to ten, girls have been exposed to pornography before they are 18.
- Child pornography has been seen by 15 % of boys and 9% of girls
- When polling young adults, 51% of the male and 52% of the females admitted to viewing porn before they were teenagers, which means that they had viewed porn before the age of 12.
- College men and women spend time online for internet sex weekly. 64% for men and 18% for women.
- When view by adults, 68% of men and 18% of women view pornography in some for at least once a week
- A whopping 56% of divorce cases involve one party or the other having an obsessive interest in pornographic material.
- Men are 543% more likely to view porn than are women.
- Those who have committed adultery are 218% more likely to look at porn than those who have not.
Porn Addiction Treatment
Like any addiction, an addiction to pornography can steal your happiness and can affect those you love in a negative manner that can lead to broken relationships. There is help, though, if you are willing to take the steps necessary to get it. As with any addiction, the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem.
Once you do, you can find a treatment facility that offers pornography addiction recovery and rehabilitation programs that will offer you a road back to your life. By using individual and group therapy, each individual’s addiction is dealt with.
If you have an addiction to pornography or want to protect your children from the vast availability of porn that is available on your electronic devices, the issue can be addressed by adding web blockers. A web blocker can curtail your compulsions, and your children’s curiosity. For pornography addicts, a web blocker can be aide, when fighting to gain your life back by limiting your access to pornographic websites.
Address the Issue
If you find that you are a pornography addict, admit it to yourself and get help. You’re not alone. The ease with which individuals can now gain access to porn has led many into the abyss of addiction, some of them at a very young age. Acknowledging that you or someone you love has a problem with pornography is the first step to the cure of this behavioral addiction.