Since the invention of the internet, the way we do things in our daily lives has drastically changed. We shop differently, we communicate differently, and we even date differently. Over the years, internet dating has become more and more socially acceptable. When internet dating first started, many people were embarrassed to admit that they were using it. Since then, millions of people have been trying and are succeeding at it.
Why Try Internet Dating?
Internet dating is such a good idea because it gives you the chance to meet people who you never could have met in any other way. When you meet people online, your social circles become much wider and you get the chance to meet people that go way beyond the places where you hang out. This greatly opens up the pool of romantic opportunity.
How to ‘Internet Date’
When you first decide to try internet dating, you need to choose a site that is right for you. You can choose to use a dating site that charges you to view your matches, or you can choose one that offers its services for free. When you are choosing a dating site, you should consider if you are looking for a certain type of person. For example, if you are Jewish and are looking for a Jewish date, you can put a profile on JDate.com. If you are Christian and your faith means a great deal to you, you can try ChristianMingle.com. There is even a site out there for farmers seeking farmers, called FarmersOnly.com. If you are just looking to meet someone new, you can try Match.com, Zoosk.com, or POF.com (Plenty of Fish). If you are looking for something that is more long-term, you can try eHarmony.com. To find a list of the top internet dating sites, you can do a simple Google search to see what is out there.
When you are looking for the best internet dating sites, it is a good idea to do some research on the internet dating statistics for each site. If there have been a great deal of marriages that came from a certain site, it is definitely one to look into.
How to Create Your Internet Dating Profile
Your internet dating profile is one of the most important parts of internet dating. It is your profile that will draw interested people in and help you get a date. If your profile doesn’t look good, chances are you will not be successful on the dating site that you have chosen.
Your photos are probably the most important part of your profile. While some people do not want to admit it, a person’s looks are a huge factor when trying to find a date. Here are some tips you can follow:
Use multiple photos: You should put a few photos on your profile. Most dating sites have you choose one photo as your main profile picture, and others that you can upload for interested people to view. It is a good idea to put a headshot photo of yourself as your profile picture. This gives people a good look at your face. You can include full body shots in your other pictures if you choose to do so. This will give prospect dates an idea of your body type.
Use recent photos: The photos that you use should be quite recent. You do not want to put a picture up that was taken 20 years ago. You may look great in the picture, but it doesn’t portray what you look like now. You do not want to get a date because of a picture that no longer represents you. It can make the first meeting very awkward.
Post pictures with only you in them: You should avoid posting photos with friends, family members, or children. Prospect dates can confuse a friend or family member of the opposite sex for an ex. If you have children, prospect dates do not need to see them before the first date. If you have a photo where you look great with another person in it, crop the person out, and post only the picture of you looking fabulous.
Dress to impress: You should not post photos where you are dressed too sexy, or are revealing too much skin. This can give prospect dates the wrong idea. You do not want people replying to your posts with only one thing on their mind.
The “About Me” Section
Most internet dating sites have you answer a variety of questions. When answering them, it is very important not to lie. Many of the dating sites out there ask similar questions, like:
- What are you looking for? This is typically a multiple choice question. You can choose from a variety of answers such as marriage, long term relationship, or no strings attached. You should answer this question honestly if you want to meet someone looking for the same thing.
- Do you have or want children? This question is important so you meet someone with the same views on children.
- What is your body type? You should answer this question honestly. You do not want to put ‘athletic’ when you are big boned; it will backfire when you meet your date in person.
- Occupation: You do not need to go into great detail in this section. By leaving out details, you will have more to talk about on your first day!
- Interests: It is a good idea to fill out the interests section honestly and thoroughly. This gives people viewing your page an idea of what the two of you have in common. If you lie on the interests section, it could cause problems if you start dating someone who viewed your profile. For example, if you put that you are a sports fan, your date could take you on a sporting event on your first date. If you are not actually a sports fan, you will not enjoy the date, and possibly several future dates. The more honest you are, the more likely you will be able to find someone you have things in common with.
- Your own paragraph: Most dating sites will give you space to write your own paragraph. This is a good place to put into your own words exactly what you are looking for in a relationship.
Internet Dating Tips
In order to be successful in internet dating, it is important to know a few internet dating tips:
- Avoid internet dating scams: There are thousands of internet scams going on every day. One common place where scam artists find their prey is on internet dating sites. These people will begin online relationships with you in hopes of scamming you for money. Many of these scam artists will pretend to live in another country. They will tell the person they are in the online relationship with that they need a certain amount of money to come and see them in their country. There have been hundreds, even thousands of people who have been victims of these scams, and have actually sent money. The best way to avoid these scams is to never send money to anyone you have never met in person.
- The first date: When you have met someone online, and it is time for your first date, it is best to meet in a public place. Because you have only met your date online, you cannot be sure that they are who they say they are. You also want to be safe. The best way is to take your own vehicle to the date, so that they do not know where you live. The best type of first date is something simple like lunch or coffee. If you feel safe and have fun on the first meeting, you can then discuss going out on a proper date.
For more online dating tips, check our article The Best Online Dating Tips Out There.
Don’t Get Discouraged
You may have heard hundreds of internet dating horror stories. Some people have met a person who turned out to be married. Some have met someone who was only out to scam them. Whatever stories you hear, it should not put you off from internet dating. For every horror story, there are twenty other stories that have ended in lasting relationships or even marriage. Read this inspiring story on Oprah.com for a deeper insight.
Internet dating can be the perfect way to find the person of your dreams. As long as you make a profile that is honest and are alert to your potential dating partners, you have a good chance of finding someone who you could possibly spend the rest of your life with.
Still want to read more? Check this article on WebMD.com on finding love online.