Studying is an essential aspect to learning which in turn means that it is essential for your life. Studying is the act of getting a deep understanding of what you have learned so that you can not only repeat the information but put it to use. While the way you study will change throughout your life, the practice of studying is something that you will not change. Here are some of the things you should know if you want to figure out how to study effectively.
Make it a Practice
The first thing you should do is make studying a practice. This may seem like it is not important, though it is essential to creating great study habits. Set a specific time each day that you will study. Make sure this is at a time when you are awake and able to focus. Doing this on a daily basis will help you to get yourself in the mindset to study.
Keep in mind that even though you may have several classes you need to study for, you should not do this in long spurts of time as this has been shown to not be effective. Rather, studies have shown that on average, 20 to 50 minutes at a time is the optimal timeframe for studying. Studying for 20 minutes is not that difficult and can help lessen the stress you may have about studying
Part of turning this into a practice is getting yourself into the right frame of mind. There are several things you will want to do. The first is to clear your mind. Get rid of thoughts about friends, family or anything else that is taking up space in your mind and allow yourself to devote your information processing to the curriculum you are studying.
Create a Study Space
When you are studying you want to make sure that you can be productive. This is why you should find a place to study that is not only quiet, but free of distractions. Think about what distracts you and then make sure that this is not in the area. While some things cannot be avoided, such as small children or pets, you can minimize the distractions. If you find that it is too difficult to study at home, then you may want to go to somewhere else to do your studying. This can be done in a park, at a library or really anywhere where you can use your study tools and be free of distractions.
An aspect you do not want to overlook with this is having everything you need right there with you. This can encompass simple things like a a pencil and notebook. The idea is to cover your bases. If you start studying and then realize you forgot a bottle of water or snack it can derail the entire study session. You may also want to use site or internet blockers when you are studying as well as this can help keep you from going to sites that will distract you, such as Facebook.
Do Something to Make it Interesting
Another thing you can do when you want to learn how to study for a test or even just a class is to make things interesting. Find a way to associate the things you are learning. This will help to make it easier to remember. This can be creating anagram, word association, or other techniques. Some people even find it helpful to make a song that helps them to remember what they are studying.
Some people also find it helpful when they are trying to learn how to study for finals to work with a partner. You can go over the curriculum and quiz each other which can help to give you a deeper understanding of what you are learning.
Learn to Manage Your Time
When you want to learn how to study in college or simply how to learn your curriculum quicker, the best thing you can do is work on your time management. There are many ways that people can use their time poorly, including:
- Not choosing the right time of day to study
- Devoting your time and energy into an unimportant aspect of the curriculum
- Distracting yourself
- Daydreaming or thinking about your day or future plans
These are just a few of the ways that you can use your time poorly. The best thing you can do is to figure out a system that works best for you and know what the focus of your study time should be so that you can get the results you want in this time period.
Figure Out How You Learn Best
One of the best ways to get the most out of your study time is to work in the way you learn best. Some people are more visual learners. This means you may want to write and draw out the ideas of your curriculum (even if it does not look the best) as this will help you to retain the information better. There are several tests online that you can take. These will help you to understand the methods that work best for you so you can implement them into your study time.
Methods of Studying
Now that you know the basics of how to set up your study time, the next thing to understand is the best methods when you are trying to figure out how to study. Here are a few that you should consider:
- Type up Your Notes- After a lecture or class discussion, type up the notes you wrote. By writing and typing them you are not only activating different parts of your brain but you are also repeating the information and repetition is the key to retention.
- Make Flash Cards- This is another great option for people who need to remember specific dates or facts. By creating the flash cards you can easily scan through the facts and categorize them by ones you know and ones you are still shaky on.
- Have a Study Partner- While studying on your own is good, it is helpful to have someone to study with as well. They can quiz you, go over information and be an invaluable support. This does not have to be a classmate as a sibling, friend, or parent can help you in just the same way.
These are just some of the methods you can use. Some people like to remember facts and other information to songs on the radio. There are endless choices but as long as you keep it interesting and fun and in a manner that is easy for you, studying should be much easier for you.
Tips on Concentration
No matter how much you are studying, if you do not concentrate, you will not get the results you want. For many people, concentration is not something that is easily acquired but something you will need to work at much like stud habits. This is why it is important to understand how you can have better concentration. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure you get plenty of rest as this can cause issues for your concentration
- Eating a more nutritious diet can help your brain operate optimally which in turn can help improve concentration and study skills
- Meditation is a great way to learn how to focus
- Taking plenty of breaks and studying in short bursts can help improve concentration
- There is music that can help you to concentrate better. Just go to YouTube and type in concentration music and listen to this while you study
- Eliminate distractions as this will make it harder to concentrate.
While studying may not be easy, it is definitely rewarding. Whether you are in 2nd grade or in the 2nd year of your graduate degree you will find that the knowledge you acquire from studying will stay with you throughout your life.