“Finding yourself” is an effort of searching your soul, determining your true passions and learning how to love yourself and the life that you are living! If it hasn’t already happen, at some point in your life, you will be hit with an epiphany that forces you to take a closer look at the direction of your life. Once you have the inclination look inside yourself – you will either find yourself overwhelmed with feelings of contentment, confidence and glee because you are on right path, or you will be bogged by feelings of “being lost”. If you find yourself feeling lost, good. Knowing that you are lost is the first step to finding yourself again. Learn how to find yourself in ten simple ways!
Underneath the roles and responsibilities that we play in life should be a happy soul that is overflowing with positive energy, passion, purpose, value and direction. Below are ten simple steps to finding yourself and generating that happy soul.
How to Find Yourself in Ten Simple Steps
One: Determine your Passions
The first step to finding yourself is to determine what your passions are in life. Find a quiet place in your home, gather a pen and a sheet of paper and begin to write down a list of things that you are passionate about doing. Write down your goals and your dreams and your wishes to accomplish. Your goals could be anything like, taking singing classes, going back to school, opening a business or losing weight. Writing them down will generate motivation to act. So, now that you have determined your passions, devise effective plans in which to fuel them. Remember to be patient with your initial attempts, and keep trying until you succeed.
Two: Be Still
Meditation is the best method of “being still”, meditation will allow you to hush the noise of the outside world and allow you to focus on just being present. Meditation is a holistic method of soul searching that can help you master your thoughts as well as focus on your authentic self and put you on the healing path to contentment and freedom.
Three: Recognize your Value
Those who are lost may not truly recognize their self-worth. They might be plagued with feelings of low self-esteem and low self-confidence, and they may even feel like they deserve to live the subpar existence that they are living. How to find happiness within yourself can be easier said than done. In fact, learning how to love yourself may be an ongoing effort that includes therapy, reciting positive affirmations, distancing yourself from negative triggers and faking it until you make it. Do whatever it takes for you to recognize your value and your self-worth.
Four: Take on New Challenges
Stretching yourself beyond your comfort zone will allow new passions to flow and confidence to grow. Do the things that you are afraid of doing; speak publicly, go to a karaoke bar, ask a guy or girl out on a date, or wear your hair in different styles. The more you challenge yourself, the more you will begin to enjoy life.
Five: Accept your Faults
No one is perfect! Once you learn to accept your faults and your limitations you will begin to find ways to use those circumstances to become the best version of yourself. If you look at your disabilities as limits, you will never recognize your true potential.
Six: Take Care of Yourself
Finding yourself has a lot to do with how you treat yourself. Putting yourself on the back burner is ultimately lowering your self-worth. You are saying to yourself “I will take care of me later, these things are more important” but then later never comes, and self-neglect begins to grow. You have to make it a priority to be good to yourself – set some time aside every week to “date” yourself. There is value in being selfish – update your wardrobe often, eat healthy foods, exercise daily and take some time off to relax.
Seven: Serve Others
Just as important as it is to take care of yourself, it is equally important to serve others. Therefore, it is important for you to reach out to your community and volunteer your time to help the less fortunate. Serving others wholeheartedly will generate in you a sense of gratitude and self-love. You will begin to see yourself as a positive member in society. Serving other will help you look up to yourself in ways you didn’t before.
Eight: Be Positive
It is important to always have a positive outlook on your life regardless of the circumstances involved. You can become lost when you focus on the negative aspects of a situation, instead of doing this, make an effort always to focus on the possibility of a positive outcome. That positive attitude will generate more positivity to flow into your life. Doors will begin to open up, and you will eventually become the best version of yourself.
Nine: Inspire Others
An important aspect of self-discovery is inspiring others to find themselves also. Become a mentor by reaching out to your family and friends. Help them to get on their own path of self discovery.
Ten: Find Balance
Balance is an important part of the journey to contentment – we cannot escape the responsibilities of life, nor should we try to. The task is to find the right balance of responsibilities and passion. You become lost if your life is full of only responsibilities and zero passion. And, you can become lost if you focus solely on your passions and ignore your responsibility. You must prioritize your life in a way that allows you to work and take care of your family while also taking care of yourself and loving on yourself.
The questions, “how to find yourself” and “how to find peace within yourself” is ultimately determined by you, individually. Start your journey of finding yourself right where you are – determine your passions in life, learn how to love yourself and remember to always be mindful of your thoughts and actions. Once you start on your journey, you will slowly become the person that you always dreamed you could be.
Find Yourself With These Inspirational Quotes!
Below are a few powerful quotes that you can recite to initiate inspiration and motivation to get on your journey to find yourself…
- The more you praise and celebrate life, the more there is in life to celebrate. – Oprah Winfrey
- There comes a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful that the risk it took to blossom. – Anais Nin
- Never mind searching for who you are, search for the person you aspire to be. – Robert Brault
- It’s never too late to be what you might have been. – George Eliot
- Adventure can be an end in itself; self-discovery is the secret ingredient that fuels daring. – Grace Lichtenstein.
- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. – Marcel Proust
- People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates. – Thomas Szasz
- If you don’t get lost, there’s a chance you may never be found. – Anonymous
- I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. – Douglas Adams
- You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need. – Jerry Gillies
- One’s own self is well hidden from one’s own self; of all mines of treasure, one’s own is the last to be dug up. – Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
- It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy. – Lucille Ball
- Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. – Aristotle
- Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy. – Norman Vincent Peale
- Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve. – Mary Kay Ash
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself. – Harvey Fierstein