Instagram is a well-known photography sharing site designed to offer a way for people to share special photos and moments with others quickly. Millions of people enjoy using Instagram, along with other social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, or as a standalone application. Despite Instagram’s popularity, search engines show that many people are searching for the term ‘delete Instagram account.’ Let’s explore how to cancel Instagram account and the reasons why one would want to cancel Instagram.
The Uses of Instagram
Many businesses use Instagram as a way of instantly communicating and sharing videos and photos with either their current or potential clients and customers, so that they can keep in touch with their client base in a way that appeals to them visually through the sharing of photos and videos. In addition, the platform is conveniently integrated with other social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, to work seamlessly with each other. This allows you to implement the technologies of any or all of these platforms to further engage people in your discussions.
Families use Instagram primarily for posting family photos and albums or videos they took on a family vacation, or special events. They can instantly connect with people by using the Instagram app on any of their mobile devices, and they can post their Instagram photos and videos via Twitter or Facebook.
Why Would You Search for ‘Delete Instagram Account’?
In spite of the obvious advantages of Instagram as a photo platform, sometimes there is a need to delete your Instagram account so that you won’t have to worry about it. Some of these reasons might have to do with negative experiences with particular people while using the platform or perhaps a feeling of loss of privacy. With the increase in rates of cyber bullying, Instagram has become an additional channel for trolls and bullies to spread their toxic remarks and attitudes. The question consequently arises,”should I cancel Instagram use?” And if yes, “how do I delete my Instagram account?” Deleting your Instagram account could be one way to stop such behavior – but remember to always ask for help if you think you are being subjected to any form of bullying or cyber bullying no matter what.
Reasons You Might Want to Delete Your Instagram Account
There are a number of reasons you may want to delete your Instagram account. As with any social media platform, there can be issues involving security or situations in which you need to cancel Instagram account and see that you have no virtual existence on the platform.
- When you are concerned about the security of your commercial or personal photos. Some professional photographers or business owners upload their photos to their Instagram accounts. While this is a great idea and allows them to instantly share media across the world and on multiple platforms, it also may pose some issues regarding copyright infringement of their commercial work and photos. For this reason, some photographers will not upload particularly important or trademarked items for fear of losing them to a competitor or a pirate.
- When you need to separate yourself from people who are on your Instagram account. This is the primary reason people consider to cancel Instagram account. They may feel that staying on Instagram is too dangerous to risk and thus choose to delete their entire account to avoid the issues they sometimes have with the platform.
- When you are worried about security in general for yourself or children. Most of the time, when the question of “how do I delete my Instagram account” pops, it’s due to an issue of security. Security is an issue for all social media, especially ones with an inherent focus on photos and videos. On other social media, you do not have to post photos and videos. But Instagram has built its entire business model around posting media. So that is what it is primarily used for. This means that you may show pictures of family members, such as children or others who could be seen by others with ill intentions.
- When you are experiencing problems with bullying or other issues. This is one of the most common reasons for deleting an Instagram account–when you or your child have been a victim of abuse or bullying or cyber bulling. If Instagram is the only way that the person was able to contact you, then deleting your Instagram account may be the best thing to do. It offers a permanent and absolute solution to the problem right away and you do not have to worry about the security of your family if there is a problem with cyber bullying or other security issues.
- One other reason you may want to delete your account is due to worries about financial or other private information. Even though there are good security measures which Instagram has taken to avoid this sort of problem, there is always the chance that someone could get your information and use it or sell it to third parties. And even if the information they have is not that vital, they could track your behavior while online in order to study your buying and browsing habits in an effort to create leads for future sales. This is a common practice among third-party sales vendors and it is not illegal if done correctly. Read the privacy policies of any social media platform or other accounts you have online so you’ll always know the facts.
However, before you do so, consider the following options which you can do before deleting your account:
- Set your posts to private. This allows only specific people you specify to see your posts and keeps your privacy level more secure. By default, Instagram posts are “public” so you will need to change this option in your Instagram account.
- Block people who bother you. If you are uncomfortable with specific people having access to your account, you can put their name in and block them easily within your Instagram security settings.
How to Set Your Instagram Profile to “Private”
Can you delete an Instagram account? Yes, but setting it to “private” is often a good alternative. Here is how to do it:
- Go to your profile by tapping the “profile” button.
- Choose “Edit your Profile” which is located next to your profile picture.
- Choose the “Turn on Posts are Private” setting, then tap “Done.”
- Go to your profile by tapping the social media icon.
- Select the “Edit Profile” option located next to your profile picture.
- Turn on the “Posts are Private” setting and choose the checkmark to save the changes.
- Go to your profile by selecting the profile button.
- Tap “Edit Profile” which is located next to your profile picture.
- Turn on the “Post are Private” setting.
- Tap the checkmark to save your changes.
How to Block People on Instagram
Sometimes you may decide that making your posts private is not enough to increase your security. In instances of bullying or when you have had problems with specific people, before you wonder how do I delete my Instagram account, you may want to block those people from being able to initiate any further contact with you. That solution is less drastic and allows you to move on and enjoy the platform without any more harassment. If you decide to block specific people where they will not be able to see your posts or your profile, do the following:
- Go to the person’s profile by tapping the star icon at the bottom of the app and search for the individual user by typing their name in the search.
- Tap their profile and tap iOS, Android, or Windows, depending upon the system you are logged in with.
- Finally, Tap “Block User” to block the person from being able to view your profile or contact you. This is sometimes the best option when you are concerned about specific people contacting you or your child.
Either of these options are a good idea if you decide not to have a full Instagram shut down or to delete account features. It is important to try the other methods before entirely deleting your account because you cannot reinstate your account under your current account details at any time once it is deleted.
Can You Delete an Instagram Account?
Can you delete an Instagram account? Once you decide that deleting your account is what you should do, here are the steps to take:
- Log into Instagram.com from a desktop computer. You cannot delete it from your mobile application.
- Visit help.instagram.com
- Click on ‘Manage Your Account’
- Click on ‘Delete Your Account’
- Choose a reason and then click on ‘Permanently Delete My Account’
If you contact technical support or customer service and ask “How do I delete” my Instagram account or “How to Delete Account,” they will likely refer you to the FAQs or support page, but you can use the information above to do this.
Alternatively, you can go ahead and email tech support with the subject: I want to delete my Instagram account, and someone will get back with you. However, it is important to note that the Instagram staff cannot delete the account for you due to security reasons. You must do this yourself following the steps we have outlined above.
If you are having trouble deciding whether to delete your Instagram account or not, here are some things to keep in mind in making your decision:
- Remember that, once your account is deleted, you will not ever be able to reactivate it. You my start all over and activate a brand new account with a different name and email, but you cannot reactivate an old account. So remember you will be losing all of your photos and videos which you have stored on your Instagram account, and you may have to reconnect with people once you have cleared out your entire database by deleting it.
- You may want to consider using the “blocking” option or “Make your profile private” so that all of your posts will be available only to specified people. This is a good option when you have underage kids who use Instagram. More and more kids are using Instagram these days so this is a wise move for parents, to ensure that anyone acting suspicious online with your child is barred from making a connection with them.
- If blocking and making messages and posts private are not enough, you will want to delete your Instagram account to prevent people from being able to view your profile or account or see your posts. As we mentioned though keep in mind that once your account is deleted, you will not be able to restore it under your current email and user name and you will have to start all over again should you ever decide to reinstate it. So beware of resorting to such a permanent solution for what might be a temporary problem.
- Other options might include monitoring your child’s access or limiting the time you allow them to spend online. By watching what your child is doing more carefully or limiting their screen time, you will be able to help avoid any problems they might run into, and avoiding having to delete the account altogether.
- Much of the strategy in being safe online is more preventive than anything and this includes explaining the rules to your child about what you expect of them when they are online on social media, such as Instagram, or any social media program or platform.
Still Searching for ‘Delete Instagram Account’?
If you decide to delete your account, that’s understandable if you feel you are not secure using these other methods. That is always your choice. But before you do, talk to your child about Internet behavior and teach them to report any strange actions or text messages to you so that you can handle them immediately. You can even report abuse to the Instagram administrator and they will try to help you. But if you need to delete your account for good, we hope this guide has helped you do just that.