Everyone is telling you to “be yourself”. Perhaps the best quote on this comes from Wiz Khalifa, the famous American rapper.“The most daring thing is to be yourself and to do exactly what you want to do at that point in time and not be worried with what other people are doing or what’s popular”. In today’s society, so many people are focused on how things “should” be or what is acceptable by society’s overall standards or expectations. Everyone is trying to conform to one another, when in reality, it is much more beneficial to just be yourself.
Reasons to be Yourself
Not only is being yourself oftentimes frowned upon by some who are in the limelight, but many are becoming so discouraged from acting like themselves that they don’t even love their real personality. Learning to be yourself not only helps you stand out, but it also offers so many great benefits to your overall mental and physical health. Check out these reasons why it is the best medicine out there.
The Top Regret of Those Dying
The number one regret of people on their deathbed is that they wished they had had the courage to step out and be true to themselves instead of allowing society to dictate their feelings and being. This is a problem to be aware of for a number of reasons:
- Advice from the elderly may not always be beneficial, true, or crystal clear, but advice from people on their deathbed is almost always good. Life regrets are not something to play about.
- This is something that is super easy to control. It’s one thing to regret not having more money or living in the same location your whole live, but those things are not very easy to change. Think about the end of your life: do you really want to regret not having been yourself, the one thing that you can be sure to do?
- If you already struggle with not being true to your own identity or self, whether it was during high school, college, or even your whole life, it’s time to step up and begin doing the things that make you happy. This struggle is not just going to get better on its own, so you have to make the conscious decision to fix it now—be yourself before you make it to your death bed.
It Helps Establish Identity and Purpose
When you are true to yourself, it is the number one way to help you discover your identity and purpose for life. Life Hack says that each individual has a specific purpose for their life and an identity that they try to live up to. From the age of eighteen to twenty-five, each person is working to figure themselves out and what makes them tick. If you can learn to be yourself early on, you are doing great, but it is never too late to start.
- The first step is actually recognizing that you have a purpose and you benefit this world.
- You are the only one who knows how to be yourself fully and completely. People can mimic, but that is all they can do. They are never going to measure up to the full potential that you have to offer.
- Nobody can discover or serve your purpose but you.
You Can’t Change Your Circumstances
It is important to realize that you cannot change your circumstances. You were born into your family, your financial situation, your class, etc. You can work hard to come up and out of poverty or things of that nature, but overall you can’t re-choose who you are.
- Although you can change the physical aspects of your situation, you can’t change your personality or who you are at your core.
- It is important to learn how to deal with your circumstances and accept who you are and what life you are living.
- You can overcome certain aspects such as money or location, but essentially you are still going to be you.
- Acceptance is better than trying to change something you can’t.
You Get More Respect
Most people put on an act to not only deny themselves but to make others approve or like them. However, in the long run this only does the opposite. Being a unique individual and bringing your own talents and positives to the table is going to bring a lot more respect than just being a cookie-cutter mold of someone else.
- It is important to realize that each person has unique traits and abilities to bring to friendships, jobs, classes, etc.
- Everyone knows what the mold looks like, but when it comes to professionals, more and more people are looking for individuals who are true to themselves and have something new to bring to the table.
It is 100% More Self-Satisfying
When you learn to be yourself, you will overall feel more satisfied with your life. At first, it may seem difficult to break away from what is typically expected, but after a while you’ll learn to see the benefit. Once you get into habit of actually responding the way you would normally respond, and doing the things that you want regardless of what others think, you will find yourself being much happier.
How Can You Learn to Love Yourself?
Sometimes you may find yourself struggling with how to be yourself or love yourself more. Society has painted and etched a picture into each mind on how they should act and be. When people don’t line up with that mold, they begin to think less of themselves. Loving yourself is one of the most vital (and most difficult) things to do. When you love yourself, it makes it much easier to be yourself in front of others.
Speak Positive Things
Overall, people are too negative about themselves or life. Find ways to be more positive and you will find loving yourself to be much easier.
- Use positive words to describe yourself. Never allow yourself to say or think negative things about yourself.
- Try using a reward system for going a few days without saying anything bad about yourself. You’ll find that describing yourself using only positives will help brighten your mood and give you a fresher and more positive outlook on yourself.
- Look at life in a positive light. Try to find at least five things to be thankful for each day.
Find Daily Encouragement
Overall, one of the best things you can do is to encourage yourself. Each day, try finding ways to stay encouraged and look to the bright side of life. Set goals each month and be sure to make time out of each week to do something that resonates with your heart.
- Many people feel that focusing on themselves or things they want to do is selfish, but this is also a lie. Find things that make you happy and pursue them with all of your heart.
- Find a support group of close friends and family who will help encourage you daily. Everyone has something beautiful and great to offer to the world, so finding someone who can help you see those things is vital to your happiness.
Do What You Love
The final step on learning how to love yourself is doing things that you personally love to do. Too many people get it in their head that they should enjoy certain things just because their spouse, friends, siblings, or anyone else around them enjoys it. This is one of the biggest lies out there.
- Everyone has likes and dislikes, and it’s okay to embrace the things you love.
- Don’t agree to do stuff just because your friends or family want you to. If you don’t enjoy and honestly have fun doing things then stay away from it. They will only succeed in sapping your joy and life force.
- Sometimes people get caught up in the daily acts of life and forget to do small hobbies that they enjoy. When life gets busy, it is important to do things that you love and enjoy doing to keep you going.
- Without making time for you and for the things that you like, it makes life turn mundane and depressing, and also makes you more bitter towards others and life itself. Having fun and staying happy makes you love yourself more.
It is clear that being yourself brings the bigger benefit in the long run than conforming to the patterns of society. Recognize that you individually have unique traits and talents to bring forward in every situation and that makes you not only stand out, but gain respect and live a longer and happier life. Not having to live up to a certain standard or be like anyone else not only brings a huge amount of benefits, but also overall eliminates a huge amount of stress from your life.